My Life as a Florist ~ a repost

Back in 2009 I was asked to write a blog for Flower Shop Network called "Bloomin' Blog" and I really had fun writing it. Fast forward 4 years to 2013 and nothing has really changed so I thought it might be fun to re-post. Hope you enjoy! 

Me ~ oh how I have changed in the last 4 years
I've noticed over the years that what I love most about my job is something that an average person usually hates. What is that, you wonder? It’s diversity, change, constant evolution and sometimes even chaos. The day in the life of a florist is anything but boring or mundane.

I’ll bet if you asked someone what they thought it would be like to be a florist for the day, most would answer with cliche. The most common ones I've heard over the years is “It must be fun to play with flowers all day”. Play? Who said anything about playing. Last time I looked it was my job to be a florist, not my hobby. Another personal favorite is “It must be so calm and relaxing being surrounded by all the flowers”.  OK, anyone that says this has not been standing knee deep in floral debris with a pile of orders in front of them to be designed, with a delivery driver rushing you to hurry up, and all 6 of the phone lines are ringing at once. Ah… stress is holding me together! What would I do without it?
2013 Princeton Reunion Weekend


Is it always that hectic at a flower shop? Of course not, but the truth is that most people never experience that side of our industry. The day in the life of a florist is much more complex that anyone would imagine. There are flowers and supplies to be ordered, windows and coolers to be cleaned, balloons to be inflated, flowers to be prepped and arranged,  plants to be watered, payroll, bills and taxes to be paid not to mention invoicing along with credit and collections. Orders and customers don’t just fall in our lap. There are marketing and advertising dollars to be spent wisely, websites to be updated, bridal consultations and proposals to be typed, phones to be answered and the list goes on.


Norman and Kristin having fun for the camera.
What I love most about my days in the flower shop are the things that most people probably would avoid. No two days are ever the same. I never know what the day will hold. Maybe an old friend from high school will walk through my doors and ask me to do her wedding flowers or maybe the White House or a Celebrity will call with a flower order. Sound crazy? Those things have happened to me within the last six months. It’s what I love, the diversity of each day! The Life of a Florist - it’s not always a bed of roses but I wouldn't have it any other way! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Flower Puppy

What is a Grave Blanket?

All of Your Prom Corsage and Boutonniere Questions- Answered!