Happy Flowers in Washington DC

Happy Spring! Ok, I'm early because Spring is still a few days away but look at this amazing cherry blossom tree from our recent trip down to Washington, DC. Kevin and I went to attend the Society of American Florist Spring Volunteer meetings and with one whole day to explore, look what I found. High up on a tree, just outside the Air and Space Museum stood this one branch on this one tree and it was actually blooming! Wow, what a treat and I have to say it caused quite a stir with my floral friends who all wanted to know where I found this gorgeous blooming masterpiece!
Soon after witnessing that amazing sight, we ventured into the Botanic Gardens right next door. Talk about going from one extreme to the other - from Air Craft and Space Modules to these amazing gardens. Don't you just love the blue of the water fountain with pink of the orchids and azaleas? Can't you just close your eyes, take a deep breath and imagine the smell of this wonderful place? Smell-a-computer... I wish I could invent it for you!

What a glorious Amaryllis plant. Over 3 feet tall with pure white blooms, this flower just called to me to take it's picture.
I am such a sucker for orchids. Knowing how precious they are and how difficult they can be to grow, I'm always amazed by the orchids in botanical gardens. Feeling the moistness of the air and knowing the air is so clean and pure, well.....even now I feel like I'm there just thinking about it. 
Next we ventured over the Natural History Museum (after viewing the Bill of Rights, Declaration of Independence and the Constitution) and into the butterfly exhibit. All I can say is oh my goodness... truly, what a magical place this was. Hundreds of butterflies flew by us as they stopped, like this guy, to rest on lush green and blooming plants. I always have fun with my camera but rarely get to use my long lense but I think it was worth the effort catching this guy!

By the time our day was done, I felt like I had been from the Moon to the Rainforest! You can take the florist out of her floral shop but you can't take the flowers out of the florist. I hope you enjoyed my DC recap and I leave you with one of my favorite floral quotes by Lady Bird Johnson (how appropriate is that for the DC Botanic Garden)....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Flower Puppy

What is a Grave Blanket?

All of Your Prom Corsage and Boutonniere Questions- Answered!