What is it that you do?



This seems like it would be an easy question to answer but sometimes it's not so straightforward! Today I had lunch with a dear friend (and business associate) along with a gentleman whom I'd never met. He is in a similar industry to mine my friend thought it might be nice for us to meet. Anyway, back to the topic of this blog - have you ever noticed when you ask someone, "What is it that you do?" it's funny how they take a deep breath and really have to give it some thought. Most of the time, 10 minutes later, you are listening intently but you are still not sure you understand how they make a living, right? That was me today. This gentleman's business seemed so confusing to me but I'm sure his customers know what he does or at least I hope so!! I believe that's because business today is so much more complicated than even 20 years ago. Remember back in the day when you needed meat you'd go to the Butcher? Or if you need a birthday cake you'd go to the Baker? Business is not like that today.
Years ago I went to a business seminar and they taught you that it's important to be able to introduce yourself and what you do in one sentence. Ugh, here it is almost 20 years later and I'm still explaining in paragraphs. "Well, we do flowers for birthdays, get wells, new babies, and of course, we deliver and can send pretty much anywhere through our affiliate shops. Oh and we also do wedding flowers - bouquets, centerpieces, boutonnieres and corsages, not to mention that we delivery it when you need it and set it up. Oh and we also do balloon event decor, you know, arches, columns, balloon trees and centerpieces. Oh, and don't forget funerals, we do casket sprays, floor baskets, just about anything for a funeral. Ugh, and we do some light party rentals such as plant rentals, arbors, chuppas, pedestals and even fichus trees. Did I mention that we deliver balloon and candy bouquets? Those are really fun, oh and fruit, we do fruit and gourmet baskets". OK, I get an big old fat F in the "explain what you do in one sentence" test!

Is it really possible to describe my business in a few sentences? I must practice. I'm long over due so here goes "Full service florist specializing in floral and balloon event decor, sympathy displays and light party rental items". Oh dang, I still missed the fruit, candy, gourmet and balloon bouquets. I'm thinking maybe now I can score myself at least a C? Give me another 20 years and I promise to get my grade up just as long as I don't add any more product lines!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Flower Puppy

What is a Grave Blanket?

How to Carry a Bridal Bouquet. It's not so hard....