Times, They Sure Do Change.

My employee Sheryl just instant messaged me while I was upstairs working in my office to let me know that we have had many Internet orders come through today. It got me to thinking, first off, I have an office. That's a big change because up until 4 years ago I had a counter in the shop as my desk. I really love my office and I'm liking that change!!

Second, she was instant messaging me. A mere 10 years ago I would have not even known what that was, let alone have computers both in the shop and up in the office to use in such a fashion . It's great because my staff down in the shop can send me a quick message, keeping me updated or asking me a question without tying up a phone line or costing me for the call. Loving that change also!

Third, Internet marketing... who knew what that even was a few short years ago. Now it's one of the best ways for me to exchange information with my customer, keep them updated, alert them to specials and treat them to freebies. I've only been doing email marketing about a year but it's had a huge impact on my business.

The last change are our websites. I can not even imagine doing business today without one and we have 6 of them! We have our normal, everyday site www.sendingsmiles.com. That site has all our everyday product and gets used by both our New Jersey and Pa Customers. Then each of our shops has an FTD site: www.mondaymorningflowers.com for Princeton and for Yardley, www.mondaymorningflower.com. Another big addition last year was our dedicated wedding site, www.perfectweddingflowers.com. We also have a site dedicated to sympathy and funeral floral designs at www.sendingsympathy.com. Lastly, I recently created a website that showcases all our non-wedding work such as corporate events, mitzvahs and sweet sixteens and that site is www.mondaymorningballoons.com . Overkill? Maybe but so far so good.

I always pride myself on being up for growth and changes and if it's one thing I learned a long time ago, is that it's important to change with the times. Some florist may fight the Internet and computers but for me, I embrace anything that is ultimately good for the customer and good for business. I may be getting up there, but this old dog is still able to learn a few new tricks! Besides, I do things the easy way. I hire young people and I follow their lead!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Flower Puppy

What is a Grave Blanket?

All of Your Prom Corsage and Boutonniere Questions- Answered!