Philadelphia Flower Show 2012

Well, it's that time of year again - Time for the Philadelphia Flower Show! This year I did not act as a judge as I have in the past, but I was able to attend and take a look see with the hubby on Sunday. The theme this year is Hawaii and as you enter this magical place you are greeting by blue clear ocean above and white dendrobium orchid and anthurium flower waves crashing over head. What a wonderful way to start the show!

 A close up below reveals how the white caps were created along with elegant and gracefully curved phaelanopsis orchid plants. Folks loved it!!  
 This exhibit was my personal favorite, created by Robertson's floral. On each side, representing the blue oceans with white cresting waves, were these blue water filled vessels and cut phael orchid sprays. In the center was a trip thru the mainland with it's tropical flowers and fauna and sandy beaches.
 Everywhere you looked there were every type of tropical bloom and orchid imaginable!
 Grand displays of proteas, birds, willows and orchids structured along bamboo poles and huge ti leaves.
 One of my favorite sections of the show are the miniatures, like this one below, which was probably only 3" tall. I loved the composition of this one, don't you?
 Another area had these cool floral works of art, like this one. Flowers contained in a box but don't you just love the movement the flowers create?
 How funny was this unique display. The theme was "show windows" and this one was obviously for an eye glass store. I loved how the eye glass necklace was made from flowers, vines and tiny air plants and succulents. Very creative indeed!
 The real crowning glory was this display of the volcano and lava. All done with lights and flowers in fiery red, this display called to you and made you want to come closer. This exhibit won the Best in Show award for designer Bill Schaffer and his talented team of over 30 floral designers from around the world.
 The next dinner part I have, I want this to be the table display. Talk about "WOW"ing your guests, this amazing display used flowers for just about every prop from the simple like green button mums and carnations to orchids, anthurium and ti leaves.
Well, there you have it. A day spent at the show. I must confess, I missed being able to walk the show when it's empty - something you only do if you are designing or judging but my schedule did not allow this luxury this year. Kevin and I enjoyed the show and if you've never gone, this just might be the one to reel you in. Let's face it, who doesn't want to a spend a winters day in Hawaii?

Check out the Philly Flower Show from 2010. I was not quite suppose to be filming (honestly, I did not know that) but judging was over and I swear, I did not touch the flowers - it was all Johns fault!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Flower Puppy

What is a Grave Blanket?

All of Your Prom Corsage and Boutonniere Questions- Answered!